[Newbies] Squeak on FreeBSD/amd64 - Image Question(s)

Ralf Folkerts ralf.folkerts at gmx.de
Thu Jul 30 07:40:27 UTC 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 29.07.2009, at 16:46, Michael Haupt wrote:
>
>>> So, could somebody please hint me at how to get "the correct" Image for
>>> 64bit FreebSD/amd64? Or is the Downloaded one OK?
>
> It is. Images are cross-platform, you can move them freely between
> Mac/Unix/Windows or any other platform.

OK, thanks for confirmation.

>>> If it is, however,
>>> wouldn't I need a 3.10.5 Image instead of 3.10.2?
>>
>> If the image complains about sources not being found, it's "alive".
>
> VM versions are somewhat independent of image versions, and supposed
> to be backwards-compatible. So you usually want to install the latest
> released VM, and use that to run all kinds of images, even older ones.

While hunting for Info on how to compile squeak I found one Doc
(unfortunately I didn't save it or the URL I found it at) that mentioned
that "the Image" should always be of the same Version as the Sources.
That made me a bit nervous re. using and older Image ;-)

>> There are 64bit images, but AFAIK they're mostly unsupported (I may be
>> wrong there). They're available from
>> http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/ - note, however, that those are
>> not version 3.10, but 3.8.
>

> I am not aware of anybody currently using 64 bit images.

Thanks! Well, I just replied to Michael Haupt some of the Instructions I
found in platforms/unix/misc with Instructions that didn't make sense to
me -- well, when I don't need a 64 bit Image then I'm happy now (on the
other hand, as there are these Instructions, maybe when/if I become used
to Squeak and get it sementically I might give the 64 bits a try :-)).

Thanks again for confirming that everything should be OK! I'm slightly
confused when something works that, according to the docs (and how I
interpreted these!), should not work but it indeed does (I expect a
crash then any minute and that makes me a bit nervous).

Cheers,
_ralf_