[Newbies] Re: squeak eToys on the Acer Aspire One w/Linpus linux?

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Fri Jun 19 17:11:01 UTC 2009

>>>>> Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>:

> Try

> sudo rpm -Ivh http://squeakland.org/content/installers/EtoysInstaller.rpm

Thanx!  The command as shown above didn't work, it reported:
 -Ivh: unknown option

But just letting firefox load the URL took me to the "Software
Installer" which asked me for the system password, and installed it.

The etoys icon didn't appear in the desktop menu, or any of its
submenus.

> To launch, type "etoys", or add it to the Acer launcher.

I've been successful in launching it using "etoys" from the command
line, and by double clicking the etoys desktop file, in the file
browser.

I've added it to the Acer launcher, and it appears in the expected group
on the desktop, but single clicking it has no effect.

Some things to note:
 - It would have been nice to lose the top bar put there by the window
   manager, because the window is _just_ too large for what's left of
   the 8.9" display.  I don't need that bar, as long as I can Alt-TAB to
   the other windows
 - Clicking on the resize window button in the window manager bar, makes
   the etoys/squeak window go berserk

So... partial success, at least. :-)