[Newbies] Re: Smalltalk Data Structures and Algorithms

Benjamin L. Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Mon Jun 29 04:37:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 07:57:49 +0530, "K. K. Subramaniam"
<subbukk at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday 26 Jun 2009 2:59:13 am Frank Church wrote:
>> Are there any books that cover this area for Smalltalk
>Yes. See http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html for an annotated list.
>
>BTW, Smalltalk is a object-based system. An object combines the role of data
>and algorithm into one unit. The computational model is different from that of
>procedural programming. Are you looking for anything specific?

Is there a counterpart to SICP (_Structure and Interpretation of
Computer Programs_; see http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/) focusing on
roughly the same topics from a purely object-oriented standpoint, but
using Smalltalk, in particular Squeak, as a means rather than as an
end?

One aspect that I really miss in Squeak is more focus on theory.  It
would be nice if somebody presented a proof of correctness of a purely
object-oriented algorithm that was implementation-independent.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^