[Newbies] Unable to create pong game setup script in Etoys 3.0

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Mar 2 22:21:19 UTC 2009

On 02.03.2009, at 23:09, Steinar Bang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to follow the tutorial here:
> 	http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/11/making-pong-in-etoys.html
>
> Creating the move script went fine, but I have problems creating the
> setup script.
>
> What I did to create the move script, was click on the eye, and got
> up a
> window, where I set the name of the ball object to ball.  Then I
> dragged
> an empty script on the Etoys window and dropped it.
>
> Then I selected the category "motion" in the lower half of the ball
> window, and dragged and dropped "ball forward by" and "ball bounce" on
> the new script, which I've named move.
>
> I then dragged the empty script and dropped it on the background to
> create a new script.  But here I've been unsuccessful in dragging
> "ball's heading" from the "motion" category.
>
> That's is: I've been successful in dragging it, but not dropping it
> and
> having it connect to the script.  I've tried hovering over the script,
> I've tried touching it all edges of the script.  I've looked at menu
> entries.
>
> But no luck yet.
>
> Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Make sure you grab the "assignment" arrow, not the name of the tile.

The viewer lets you get two kinds of tiles for properties such as
heading: one to access the heading, and one to set it. If you hover
the mouse pointer to the left and right across the tile, different
parts are highlighted. This indicates which tile you will get.

- Bert -