[Newbies] Odd Transcript message

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Nov 3 18:47:56 UTC 2009

At Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:53:40 -0500,
Lynn Fogwell wrote:

> Hi,
> Whenever I compile a particular method, the transcript displays the
> following line:
>
> IdentityManager class >> populateDevelopersTable (name is shadowed)
>
> So, it names the class and method I just compiled and then states
> that it is shadowed.
> What is 'shadowing' and how did I activate it for this particular
> method?

  The most likely senario is that the IdentityManager class has an
instance variable called 'name' and the populateDevelopersTable method
declares a temporary variable called 'name' also.  An instance
variable is shadowed, or hidden, by an inner-scope variable with the
same name.

  Yes, because it happens to be "name", the warning can be read
differently ^^;

-- Yoshiki