[Newbies] isStepping question

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Nov 7 15:40:04 UTC 2009

On 07.11.2009, at 14:45, Christine Wolfe wrote:

> Wow! That worked.  But I'm sorry to hear that morph doesn't support
> a loop
> like I wanted.  That sounds restrictive but maybe I just need more
> time in
> world to become squeakified.

Actually that's a restriction of about any event-driven GUI. Your code
must not wait until some event occurs because the other UI elements
would be blocked by that. Everything (e.g. event handling, animation,
painting) is done in call-back methods, the main loop calls your code
which must return ASAP.

The only way around that is by using background processes, which is
possible in Squeak of course, but usually introduces many more
problems than it solves. Better adhere to the standard practices,
which is do-one-thing-and-return.

- Bert -