[Newbies] Re: Defining a binary message selector

Andy Burnett andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com
Mon Nov 16 15:49:41 UTC 2009

Michael said <<

If you want to implement the method as a binary message (with special
characters), everything is fine

Brilliant, so I was on the right track - sort of!  Now for the important
question.  Where are the special characters defined?  I looked in Smalltalk,
and found a SpecialObjectsArray  (along with a warning saying "don't touch
this"!).  I am not planning to touch it, but I am curious to understand how
the system works.

The argument to a binary message is not undeclared; the simple fact
that the message is binary *implies* there will be a parameter.

Am I making sense?

Totally, that clears it up for me.