[Newbies] [semi-OT] (fwd) Re: What Killed Smalltalk?

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 20:23:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Ralph Johnson <johnson at cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Smalltalk didn't die.  It's growth was killed.  The dream of taking
> over the world was killed.

+1. I use Smalltalk willingly, therefore it is not dead. It will only be
dead when the last contributer stops enjoying it.

I believe the way to make Smalltalk popular is to make it do something that
nobody else can that many people need. This is assuming that the basics are
there: a good product, good documentation, support, etc.

I've been programming in Smalltalk since 1985.  I remember 1995 as if
> it were yesterday.

In 1985, some of the people in this community didn't exist!

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/