[Newbies] How to implement parameters for an application

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 21 23:23:55 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 10/19/09, Cédrick Béler <cdrick65 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Cédrick Béler <cdrick65 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Newbies] How to implement parameters for an application
> To: "A friendly place to get answers to even the most basic questions about Squeak." <beginners at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
> Date: Monday, October 19, 2009, 9:31 AM
> Hi,
>
> I use an application that used to have a shared pool for
> varaibles for global parameters.
> I removed them and implemented a special class for
> parameters but I don't feel happy with that.
>
> Is it a good practice to implement parameters as class side
> method on each relevant model class (instead of having a
> global container for parameters) ? If yes, I guess I need to
> use pragma or something else to get these parameters
> easily.
>

> Any comments welcome :)
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Cédrick

Hmm. What is the application for? How would you model it as a bunch of interacting objects? Can you give a short user story for the application you are trying to create?

What is making you feel uncomfortable about having a class for the parameters? What would make you feel comfortable instead?

I usually get a feeling of discomfort when the code is fighting me. The solution is to think about responsibilities.

Usually the class that owns a parameter is the best place to put the responsibility of dealing with it. If you have classes that are constantly asking others for info then the responsibilities are probably in the wrong place.

Hth,