[Newbies] 3.10 image hang

Prashanth Hebbar hebbarp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 11:31:54 UTC 2009

Hello Jerome:

Thanks for the notes on the bug report. I will prepare a report and post it.

I downloaded the basic image from squeak.org/download. I did not know how to
figure out whether the image has Block Closures so I did this:

#(a b c) do: [ :s | Transcript show: s] ......... and got "abc" in the
transcript.

and this...

#(a b c) do: [:s | [Transcript show: s] fork] and got "c" in the
Transcript (from an example from the mailing list)

So two questions:
1. Why should adding "fork" to the code change the closure behaviour
2. There are BlockClosure and BlockClosureTest classes in the image, does
this qualify to be supporting full closure

Regards,

 On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Jerome Peace <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
> wrote:
>
> Hi Prashanth Hebbar,   It looks like you have found a fine bug (or two).  A good way to deal with it is to start a mantis report.
> http://bugs.squeak.org/my_view_page.php is a good place to start. You can
> get an account freely and easily.   Please remember that the first rule of
> troubleshooting is first hand information.   The clearest reports will
> start with a way to reproduce the problem. You have given details of what
> system and image you are using.   The walkback is interesting. Now if you
> can also supply a recipe for getting to that walkback.   E.G. Starting
> with a fresh xxx image. Do this this and this and the walk back happens.  Upload any files needed to reproduce the problem. It always helps if your
> example is boiled down to the simplest thing that will cause the error to
> occur.   In additional details or a note include the walk back.   The
> clearer you make the report, the easier it will be for someone to look into
> the problem.   Once the report is written its worth pointing to it on one
> of the lists. The squeak-dev list would probably reach people most
> interested in this level of problem.   Yours in curiosity and service,
> --Jerome Peace         --- On Sat, 9/26/09, Prashanth Hebbar <
> hebbarp at gmail.com> wrote:   > From: Prashanth Hebbar <hebbarp at gmail.com> >
> Subject: Re: [Newbies] 3.10 image hang > To: "A friendly place to get
> answers to even the most basic questions about Squeak." <
> beginners at lists.squeakfoundation.org> > Date: Saturday, September 26,
> 2009, 10:35 AM  > Hello Claus: > > Some context and update:The error is >
> occurring when I try to save home project of image > 3.10.2-7179 (Damien
> Cassou's web based > image). > > I have tried with VM versions 3.10.6
> (2007) and 3.11.5 (Sep > 2009). > I do not face this problem in the basic
> image > from squeak.org.
> The suspect are the recent changes from block contacts to block closures. I
> am curious when you refer to the basic image whether you are refering to one
> before the those changes?   Good luck with the report. --Jer      _______________________________________________Beginners mailing list

  -- Prashanth Hebbar Bangalore