[Newbies] Re: Installing packages - not!

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Wed Apr 7 15:15:51 UTC 2010

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> To get syntax highlighting etc. you should try the 4.1 release candidate,
> which has a lot of fixes over 4.0:

I did, and was able to install ocompletion with no problem.  Although I
realized that there seems to me something missing fundamentally in the way
packages are represented.  Most of the time, when I go to a repository, I
find several packages with seemingly no cohesive information about what they
do e.g. for OCompletion there are ECompletion, Ocompletion, OCompletionTests
(okay this one is obvious), ExperimentalOcompletion, OCForOB, OCLoader, and
Ocompletion-Tests (okay maybe not so obvious - to dash or not to dash...).
Now I'm not singling out OCompletion - this seems to be the standard model.
My slant is to install the minimum necessary, but am I missing a general
practice to install all packages available?  Although in the OCompletion
example, it does not seem to be the right choice, because ECompletion and
OCLoader seem to be either-or.

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> In general, external packages are in a sorrow state. Only a few are
> actively maintained. Scamper is not, as you discovered.
>
> Providing a collection of "good" packages with a release is one of the
> goals of 4.2.

Thank you for doing that.