[Newbies] Annotated workspace for tutorials...

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 02:52:11 UTC 2010

Hi Lawson,

What you are trying to do is really cool.

You are up against a squeak "you can't get there from here" problem.

Yet.

There needs to be some way to tie the extent of the workspace to the extent of the drawing area. Simply embedding doesn't do it.

It seems it would also be good to have a simple way to switch levels. My first thought is tabs.

The workspace is a window with a model. In this case the model is workspace.

A workspace model puts one component in a window, the thing you write text on. It also has the ability to keep tract of symbol bindings which makes it good for trying out code.

A browser is a window with a model. The model is browser. A browser has several components. several lists and a code holding window and buttons as well. Resizing the browser resizes the components. Changing a component notifies its dependents. When dependents are initialized the subscribe to the notifications.

What you want is a model that has two buttons to serve as tabs. To bring to the front the various layers. Then you want two overlapping components for the text and the drawing layer.

I wonder if Bert knows of something like that.

====
Second curiosity:

What are using to make the youtube tutorials with sound. Looks very good and the sound commentary makes it worth watching.