[Newbies] Re: Resources with Monticello

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Apr 14 17:35:07 UTC 2010

On 14.04.2010, at 19:20, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> Typically, they don't. Usually packages only have code. Small things (like
>> icons) are converted to source code.
>>
> I think that's where I'll start, but I'm not quite there.  This is what I
> did so far, cobbling together things from old posts:
>
> stream := ReadWriteStream on: (String new).
> form storeOn: stream.
>
> Is this the right direction and how do I reconstitute it?

Any object that you serialized this way can be read back with #readFrom:.

The simpler invocation for this #storeString:

s := Form fromUser storeString. "store"
f := Form readFrom: s. "read"

>  The only
> stream-related fromXxx method in Form was fromBinaryStream, which gave an
> 'image format not recognized' error.

There are more space-efficient ways of course, e.g. you could store a GIF image base64 encoded.

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> For apps, media files are distributed separately.
>>
> What is the standard procedure for this - SAR files?

No. Application as in "Mac application" or "Windows application" or "Linux application". These just bundle a couple of files in whatever is suitable for the deployment platform - a VM, an image, and whatever other files are necessary.

Typically you just have a directory of files on your development system, managed by subversion.

- Bert -