[Newbies] SqueakVM on Ubuntu 64 bits

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Apr 15 00:02:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 08:28:39PM -0300, Leandro Juarez wrote:
> Hi. I'm having little trouble trying to install the squeakVM (4.0) on Ubuntu
> 64bits. i just tried from the testing channel only.
>
> deb http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ x main
> deb-src http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ x main
>
> on the ubuntu repository there's only version 3
>
> any idea how/where to download?
>
> many thanks in advance.

Hi Leandro,

There is a brand new Unix VM that has just been released, and that
contains many improvements. I suggest that you go to this web site
and download the latest version:

  http://squeakvm.org/unix

This updated version of the VM has not yet made its way into general
distribution, but I think that you will find it to be the best available
version.

This VM is compiled as a 32-bit executable, which means that you will
need to install various 32-bit runtime libraries on your system in
order for everything to work. The VM can of course also be compiled
as a 64-bit executable, but some of the features for multimedia do
not yet work in 64-bit mode, so overall it is best to use the 32-bit
VM even if you are on a 64-bit Ubuntu system.

Dave