[Newbies] Pre-Getting started info: Unicode, utf8, large memory need

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 27 20:00:27 UTC 2010

Squeak looks interesting, but before getting started I need 3 pieces of
info:
1)  How does one read&write utf8 files?
2)  Can strings by indexed by chars, even if they are unicode rather
than ascii?
3)  What happens if you have more data than will fit into RAM?

(For 3 "use a database" is an acceptable answer, but I'm hoping for
something involving automatic paging.)
(For 2 "use 4 bytes/char" is acceptable, but only if there's a good
answer to 3.)

I thought I could just look this up in the documentation, but it doesn't
seem to address these points...at least not until you start being able
to read the code in the browser fluently.
These questions also don't seem to have been addressed in the mailing
list before.  (At least a search didn't find them.)

An additional, but much less urgent, question is "How does one use
Squeak on multiple cores of a multi-core processor?"