[Newbies] How to draw a single pixel with permanence?

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Thu Apr 29 13:31:49 UTC 2010

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 29.04.2010, at 14:44, Lawson English wrote:
>
>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Paint into a Form. Draw the form in #drawOn:.
>>>

>> I'm sorry, I don't understand.
>>
>> Isn't this "painting" into a Form?
>>
>> aCanvas  form  colorAt: 30 at 30 put: Color black.
>>

> No, that's painting directly onto the Display (a.k.a. the canvas's form), which is considered bad style in Morphic.
>

>> My problem is that the pixel doesn't stay set.
>>

> 30 at 30 would be in the upper-left corner of the Display. Unless your morph covers that, you won't see it.

well, when I'm dragging the morph around it draws next to the cursor and
when I release, it doesn't draw in the upper-left corner of the display.

> You might try "self topLeft + (30 at 30)" but again, that's bad style.
>
> In any case, I thought your question was about displaying the Mandelbrot set. It would be wise to paint that into a form, preferably in a background process. Then just update the display (by drawing the form) once a second until it's finished.
>
> - Bert -

My  point is, how do I "paint it" into a form and then display it? If
somehow I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing: that it DOES draw within
the bounds of the morph, then I'm quite happy to use

aCanvas form colarAt: (self topLeft + (30 at 30) ) put: Color black.

my question concerns getting what I've poked into the form to stay on
the screen after I've released the mouse. Obviously I'm not caching the
results as I thought I was.

Lawson