[Newbies] Re: Collaboration with Squeak 2.8

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 07:16:48 UTC 2010

On 11/08/10 10:05, Clinton Blackmore wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Serge Stinckwich
> <Serge.Stinckwich at gmail.com <mailto:Serge.Stinckwich at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 22/06/10 09:59, Clinton Blackmore wrote:
>
>         Greetings again.
>
>         I'm hacking on Scratch, which is based on MIT Squeak, which is
>         based on
>         Squeak 2.8.  I want to collaborate with others on a project.
>
>         Monticello appears to require Squeak 3.1 or later.  Is there a
>         way for
>         me to upgrade an image?
>
>         If not, is there a sensible way to use a revision control system?
>
>         It appears to me that:
>
>         1) collaborators could each create change sets, and e-mail them
>         to each
>         other, for every one to file in (which sounds like it would be
>         confusing; surely I am not understanding something)
>
>         or
>
>         2) every class in the code could be filed out into a directory,
>         standard
>         version control systems could be used, and then every class could be
>         filed back in (which likewise seems daunting).
>

>         What sort of workflows would you recommend?
>

>     Another idea (not the easiest) is to port Scratch to a Squeak 4.1 or
>     Pharo 1.1. I have already put all the code in a metacello repository.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     --
>     Serge Stinckwich
>     UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
>     Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>     http://doesnotunderstand.org/
>

> I had contemplated porting the code, but was not up to the task.  In
> these last couple of months of slowly working on my project, I've gone
> from saying, "What the heck is this thing (referring to Squeak)?" to
> saying "How did I ever live without live debugging and an environment
> like this?  This is awesome!"  And that's with a Squeak that is ten
> years old.
>
> This is the first I've heard of Metacello, and it wouldn't hurt me to
> re-read the Monticello section in Squeak By Example.  I've installed
> Metacello and started on the tutorial.  How do I access your repository
> for Scratch?  Does it run at all for you?

At the moment, i just put the classes in a MC repository here:
http://www.squeaksource.com/Noise.html

If you have a SqueakSource account, i could add you as a developer.
Maybe there is some code missing, i didn't check everything.
You should be able to load this package in a fresh Squeak 4.1 image
(just reload it twice because there is some initialization problem that
need to be fixed ...)

Beware, nothing is working ;-) and there is no tests at all ...

> Incidentally, Serge, seeing as you are interesting in robotics, I
> thought it'd be worth mentioning that an important aim of my project is
> to allow children to program their LEGO Mindstorms Robots in a
> Scratch-like environment.  I am close now to being able to take a stack
> of Scratch blocks and export them as real Java code, which could, in
> turn, be compiled with LeJOS and uploaded to a Mindstorms NXT robot
> running custom firmware.

Looks interesting, do you have more information about that ?

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich