[Newbies] loading Shout into trunk?

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Mon Dec 6 05:10:11 UTC 2010

At 2:45 AM +0100 12/6/10, Levente Uzonyi apparently wrote:
>On Sun, 5 Dec 2010, Ken G. Brown wrote:
>
>>Well, comment highlighting doesn't seem to work for me, at least not reliably all the time.
>>
>>Could someone please check out the image Squeak4.2-10740-alpha at:
>><https://public.me.com/kbrown> in the Squeak4.2Test folder, and let me know if they are seeing the "commented out" in the two Workspaces, properly colored a shade of green like the two lines in the Workspace that has more text? At least I see those two lines properly colored as comment.
>
>The reason why your text is not highlighted is that the first character in your workspace has ascii value 16. That character is not visible, but it's there and results in a syntax error during parsing. If you delete it, the highlighing will be normal again (up to the next syntax error).

Well that's very odd, wonder where that came from?
And the other odd thing that putting the insertion bar before the first character and pressing delete, does not delete the character. Only by putting the insertion bar after the first visible character and then pressing delete will do the deletion of the invisible character but leaves the character immediately to the left of the insertion bar that you would think would normally be deleted. Not intuitive at all.

I wonder if there is any way to enable display of invisible characters with a small box or similar so a person would have a chance of finding issues like this?
Or some way of otherwise detecting and flagging such errors.

Thx,
Ken

>Levente
>

>>The image is a fresh Squeak4.2-10548-alpha which only has had 'Update Squeak' done to update 10740.
>>
>>Thx,
>>Ken G. Brown

<snip>