[Newbies] Two Questions Search and ORM

Amir Ansari fractallyte at csi.com
Sun Dec 12 15:55:14 UTC 2010

Pharo is a fork of Squeak, so it's really just an implementation of Smalltalk.

Conversely, Seaside is a web application framework (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_application_framework) built on Pharo/Squeak.

Then there are the two major 'object databases': GemStone and Magma, plus several others that you read about in Ramon Leon's blog.  Magma is a normal Smalltalk package that you can install in Pharo to run either standalone, or alongside Seaside if you need a database for your web application.  GemStone is an implementation of Smalltalk that combines both the language AND the database, so it's rather unique.

So, there are three different things here: the language (Smalltalk) and its implementations, a framework built with the language (Seaside), and databases (Magma, GemStone, Glorp, etc.).

I hope that makes things clearer...

Amir