[Newbies] Anonymous subclasses?

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 04:43:42 UTC 2010

Ooh, so *that's* what a uniclass is. I'd seen references to them before and
wondered what they were about. I will be searching my image for that in a
moment:) I actually wanted to do two things. The anon subclass was about a
test I was writing. And I was also fishing around looking for prototypes:)

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> The usual reason for wanting that is to give a single object some special
> behavior. You end up with one class per object. That's why in Squeak we call
> them "uniclasses" and searching for selectors with "uniclass" should get you
> started.
>
> - Bert -
>

> Am 18.12.2010 um 04:48 schrieb Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
> >:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I want to make an anonymous subclass, or a copy of (either way) a
> subclass of Object.
> >
> > I've been googling around looking for an example of an anonymous
> subclass. I haven't had luck with anything I've found. It's possible that
> there's something I'm missing conceptually, because I've read through
> various examples, but they all seem to do directly with Behavior or Class. I
> tried various combinations of things with both of the approaches I found.
> Some of them hung the image, with others the #primitiveChangeClassTo: would
> fail. I read the comment there, and am aware that using it is reckless
> behavior.
> >
> > I see that Smalltalk compactClassesArray gives me a list of the compact
> classes. I don't seem to understand the format part. I've noticed that
> certain classes (e.g. Array) are declared "variable subclasses" but that's
> it. I googled and didn't turn up anything that seemed to help me grok it.
> >
> > Tried:
> >
> > Class format. "answers 148" Head scratch; think. ^self shrug
> >
> > Any pointers?
> > --
> > Casey Ransberger

Casey Ransberger