[Newbies] seaside sushi cart internationalization

Van Upboy van.upboy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 21:17:15 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm playing with the sushi cart of seaside. I'm trying to create a Dutch
version of it. That's simply looking up text and replacing it.

Hmm, at least that's what I thought.

Because then I've come across the printStringAsCents method to show the
price (for instance $ 1.50 ).

As I live in Europe, I don't want to use $, but Euro's. Of course, if
someone gives them to me, I won't say no to a few dollars ;-)

It seems to be here:
Kernel-Numbers / Integer
printStringAsCents method, which is:
    ^ '$', (self // 100) displayString, '.', (self \\ 100)
asTwoCharacterString

1a. Should I replace the $ sign here? Can I put the Euro sign here?

But I don't like changing kernel methods:
-  it seems dangerous because I don't know what depends on it
- hard to transfer to other installations
- and it is very likely that I will forget that I changed it for the sushi
cart because the code is 'hidden' somewhere else.

Besides that, I would like to be able to set the kind of currency.

1b. Is there multilingual (regarding currencies / display of date and time /
use of an external file with string messages that can be translated instead
of hard coded text) library somewhere out there?

2. Because of all the help, I know how to find classes, which is great. But
in my search for the printStringAsCents I was wondering how do I find
messages when I know the message name, but not the class name? Or is it easy
to determine the class name in some way?

Any thoughts are appreciated.