[Newbies] Re: Beginners Digest, Vol 46, Issue 14

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sun Feb 14 13:46:13 UTC 2010

Hi Van,

VU> I'm still wondering about a simple "search and replace" though.

seems there is none. We usually won't use that. Renaming a temporary
via search and replace is a bad idea if you have methods with the same
name as the temp.

The Refactoring Browser (and I guess OmniBrowser too) has ways to
rename a method and changing the places where it's been sent or to
rename local variables or method parameters. I guess that covers most
of your renaming needs.

Both are not present in Trunk or 3.10 and I don't know how to get them
in recent images (I use 3.8). Maybe someone else can help.

VU> When I do a text search, the whole system freezes and I have
VU> to wait until it finishes searching. Why is that? I would like to
VU> go on rather than wait for the results.

In the beginning I also used the (slow) full text search but nowadays
I get by with the other methods. You can open a second image for your
full text searches.

VU> I didn't get answers my question about squeak support for
VU> internationalization, is that because there is no built in support
VU> for that? Do the commercial smalltalk version support that aspect
VU> better?

You ask many questions in one post so others might see a reply and
think everything is replied to. Don't use digests and one question per
post to get faster and more detailed feedback.

The simplest thing is to use String>>translated and related methods.
Squeak derived Etoys is internationalised and they use external tools.
It has been discussed at Squeak dev.

Cheers,

Herbert