[Newbies] Making requests to an HTML server

DUFOUR, Stephan (ext.) stephan.dufour.prestataire at sfr.com
Wed Jan 6 13:16:33 UTC 2010

Hi,

I had little time to look at the stuff but I have a global idea of what does what.

Albatross is running via SUnit on localhost.
SUnit creates a component, this component is registered as a Seaside application which makes http calls to _localhost_.

What I want is simpler and different, I want to call external URLs.
I wonder if I can replace SUnit by a simple object and run ABrower with external URLs.
Some functions seems to require Seaside and may be not usable if I try them on external URLs.

The two other tools:
-          Selenium / Squelenium / WebTester: The firefox module allows you to easily write some tests but it cannot export code to Smalltalk. It also seems to be limited at finding predefined text, maybe the API allows you to search for variable content or you have to use something else. i.e. for example you have a customer account, you enter login/password, enter the customer account, it can check that you have NAME and SURNAME in the resultpage for exemple, but it won't give you what the name and the surname are (maybe I simply didn't dig enough).
-          Beautiful Soup can parse the result of a page and be a good complement for Selenium.

At the moment, I'd like to focus on Albatross because if I can use all the functions, it'll be easy to code.

Stephan