[Newbies] Lookaround Regex to manipulate Strings

Hans Gruber rukin at web.de
Wed Jan 13 22:20:42 UTC 2010

Hi Squeak Fans!

I have a short question regarding regular expressions in Squeak.

I have the following problem:

I have a fileName and I want to cut off its file extension (.jpg, .png etc.). To do this efficiently I wanted to use regular expressions with lookaround.

So let's assume the following:

| fileName |
fileName := 'test.jpg'.

fileName matchesRegex: '.+(=?.(jpg|jpeg|png))'

I thought there is a possibility of returning the string without file extension through lookaround.

Do you have any hints for me?

Thanks guys!

Regards,
Hans