[Newbies] Re: Beginners Digest, Vol 50, Issue 5

Andy Burnett andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com
Wed Jun 9 13:01:44 UTC 2010

Hernán wrote
<<<
Hi Andy,

You may try http://www.squeaksource.com/SimpleTextParser.html which is
a fork of the Avi's CSV parser I did to support additional protocol.
If you like fix or include some features, I can add you as project
developer. You may specify what's your particular case/issue with the
parser so other people can help you.

Thanks Hernán
That's great. I will switch over to using your package immediately.
 However, I am still not clear how one submits bug fixes and enhancements to
Squeak packages.

One of the questions that Randal asks on his FLOSS show is "how can people
contribute to the projects", and usually there is some sort of process.  At
a very simple level, I would like to understand the mechanics of how I can
help to improve packages.  Now, it might be as simple as emailing the
package owner and saying "hey, I found a bug, and this is how I fixed it"
and leaving it at that, but there may be a more sophisticated way of doing
it via monticello etc.  Ideally, I would like to avoid creating forks,
because - on my experience - it makes it harder for people to find things.
 For example, I searched for CSV, but didn't find your package.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a 'star' rating system, a bit
like the reviews on Amazon, to help people find the packages that are highly
regarded?

Cheers
Andy