[Newbies] problems pulling data from a url..

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 14:34:00 UTC 2010

(HTTPSocket httpGet: aUrl) contents

I know we Smalltalkers like to talk about how no one ever gets confused
about dynamic types, but it does happen ;-).

The stream has the text you want. May want to familiarize yourself with core
methods on the Stream hierarchy.

Pushing the Stream through a ByteArray conversion is invoking printString.

Your trouble with getting a modified string using replaceAll: is again a
subtle typing error:

Reading the comment for #replaceAll:with:
"Replace all occurences of oldObject with newObject"

But, Strings are collections of characters, not strings. Compare:

'foo' replaceAll: 'f' with: 'g'
'foo' replaceAll:  $f with: $g

Take a look at senders of #findString:

Many of them do replacements of substrings.

David Mitchell
http://www.withaguide.com