[Newbies] Best list box morph

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 21:21:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Gary Dunn <osp at aloha.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:31:39 -0500 David Mitchell <david.mitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Have you looked at Maui?
>
> Yes, Maui is beautiful. I have ridden the Hana Road by bicycle four times. Paia is famous for wind surfing.
>>
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3836
>
> Oh, that Maui. I am not looking for yet another quirky UI builder. My goal is to teach high school students how to construct simple, focused apps using morphs. In tcl/tk I find list boxes useful building blocks and am supprised not to find any on the Objects tab.
>
> Installing from SqueakMap fails because Maui breaks FileList.
>
> Installing from Montecello fails because what I see looks nothing like what the wiki page describes, and the load generates a long list of warnings.
>
> =-=-=-=-=
>
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:47:53 -0700 (PDT) Jerome Peace <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >From your description it sounds like you are trying to mimic what a pdf
>> reader does (or
>> what a web page does) with a index table of contents in the left frame and
>> the file contents
>> or page in the right frame. Is that correct?
>
> Yes, but this is a specific example of a more generalized problem.
>
>> Assuming you could program it could you mock up the visuals for a page
>> without worring
>> about how it would work dynamically?
>
> Did that. Not on winning path.
>>
>> The other interesting thing to do is look at a simple browser and see how
>> it works.
>> Usually there is a window which has a model. Inside the window there are
>> components such
>> as pluggalbe lists and pluggable texts holders etc. Something, probably the
>> model suggest
>> how to layout the frames in the window. The various components communicate
>> with each other
>> by announcing changes and listening for update
>> messages.
>
> Sounds like old fashioned Smalltalk. I want students to become productive using Viewers and tiles and scripts. Tearing apart System Browser will come later.
> --
> Gary Dunn, Honolulu
> osp at aloha.com
> http://openslate.net/
> http://e9erust.blogspot.com/
> Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

None of the ListMorphs in Squeak are (yet) hooked up to the Etoys system.
Initializing them is a little tricky.
LazyListMorph can not be used separately,
PluggableListMorph and subclasses are the ones to look at.

The component system could be used for what you try to achieve but I
think it is broken in the Etoys image.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1175

Karl