[Newbies] Squeak / Smalltalk classes

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 06:58:39 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 12 Oct 2010 11:54:31 am Amir Ansari wrote:
> I started with Squeak when I was using the book - most of the examples are
> universally applicable, until you get to the chapters on
> graphics/windows.  But by then you're comfortable enough with the language
> to be able to just read through those and understand what's going on.
Very true. Squeak is designed for live adaptation ("authoring is always on"),
so it is hard to capture its behavior in a static book and expect to use it
unchanged for more than a couple of releases.

One way beginners can start contributing to Squeak is to take a linear guide
like "Terse Guide to Squeak" and add these as example methods into Squeak
which can be updated as Squeak evolves. Such a live guide can be explored
through multiple aspects like senders, implementors, references etc. in the
image itself.

Anyone game for it?

Subbu