[Newbies] Isometric 2D (serious) games develoment on Squeak/Pharo

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Mon Oct 18 10:49:40 UTC 2010

  Hi All,

Long time without being here, so is nice to be back. For my last project
I'm wondering about 2D isometric games and after some preliminary
finding I would like to use may be Python/Pygame or Squeak(or Pharo). I
have found enough information about game creation on Python, but not on
Squeak, specially regarding 2D isometric games.

The idea is that each player lives in a post-apocalyptic world where you
need to re-create the world. For that you live in a bio-nano-tech
"farm-lab" where you can create plants, animals, and other stuff and
test how it works in a mini-ecosystem to prototype that possible word.
You work off-line in your own farm-lab, but you can go on-line and trade
designs with other players to create a shared world or make test with
their stuff from/in their farms-labs. The game will be free software so
people can create their own variations and is intended as a serious
game[1] where you can play just for fun but also learn and work with
other people solving real problems using games and simulation.

  [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serious_game

I would like some advice about how Squeak/Pharo fists the problem of
making and 2D isometric game about this idea with characters, chat
support between them, networking, using external stuff not made with/in
Squeak (like svg support or external libraries and programs) and so on
(some times I think in this like Croquet ultralite). I'm some kind of
ethernal newbie on a lot of Informatics themes (including programming),
so learning curve is also important here.

Thanks,

Offray