[Newbies] Making a Morphic Book released, please critique

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Thu Aug 4 02:00:27 UTC 2011

Gary,

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Gary Dunn <garydunnhi at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the goals for this effort is to use Squeak "out of the box." I
> realize that to you folks, a little code here and there is easy. Picture an
> alternative to PowerPoint and you will be close to what I have in mind. As
> an author gains experience with Squeak they should be able to create
> increasingly fancy books.

A very good goal.  Have you considered using Etoys as a PowerPoint
alternative?   If your target is 14-18 year olds, this may be a much easier
on-ramp for them.  Your ideas and documentation are good a similar version
for Etoys (perhaps using Event Theater to demonstrate how certain things are
done would be nice as you can create "screencasts" within Etoys, just be
sure not to move the mouse too quickly as it can cause problems).

> If anyone has some time (ha ha) I would appreciate any and all comments,
> starting with spelling and grammer and going up from there as far as you
> like. After I have had time to incorporate your suggestions I will make a
> formal announcement on the Open Slate web site and mailing list.

One idea is some sample books, perhaps along with screencasts on YouTube or
embedded within the project using Event Theater to demonstrate how you made
them.