[Newbies] Install squeak on BSD

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Aug 23 11:28:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 08:23:28AM +0400, bronta at rambler.ru wrote:
> Hallo!
> I'm trying to install squeak from sources on FreeBSD 8.2. I read Readme
> and followed it's instructions. But when I run squeak I get error:
> "Could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:check that
> /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-6/vm-display-X11.so exists"
> I found this topic in bug tracker:
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7451
> As I understood docs are incorrect and I must use cmake instead of make.
> I used "cmake -i" command and got this message: "CMake Error: The source
> directory "/home/.../Squeak-4.4.7.2357-src/bld" does not appear to
> contain CMakeLists.txt."
> Actually I don't know anything about cmake utility. And I need
> instructions how to build squeak.
> Please help!

Hi,

There are instructions for building with cmake in the file
platforms/unix/README.CMake

Please feel free to ask questions about this on the vm-dev mailing
list (http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/vm-dev).
You will find people there with BSD experience who may be able to
help. Also, if you search the vm-dev list archives, you may find
some discussions from BSD users.

Dave