[Newbies] networking in squeak

Christopher Hogan flipityskipit at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:53:37 UTC 2011

Hi,
I have been trying to figure out how to do some basic networking functions from inside of squeak.
I found the old Telnet application in a 3.8 image and I have it working in Trunk and am toying around with giving it a new UI.
The other thing I need is ping.
I saw some old treads about using commandshell but I haven't been able to get ping work.
I am not sure I have everything I need loaded, I keep getting 'cannot access system to run ' ... messages.
I am on a win7 (64 bit) box if that helps.
I also found this old paper http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/archives/papers/Berg05a-CompLangESUG04-classboxesJournal.pdf
It mentions having a socketICMP that might work for what I would like to do.
I found classboxes on squeaksource and I managed to get some of it loaded into an old 3.8 image but I don't see the socketICMP anywhere.
I checked a few other images from around the time the paper was published but I don't see it in any of them either.
Does anyone know if that code is hiding out there anywhere or if I could get some pointers for what I might need to get loaded for commandshell to get ping to work I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Chris (newbie squeaker)