[Newbies] blender 3D

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Dec 14 15:51:42 UTC 2011

On 14.12.2011, at 09:57, dimitris chloupis wrote:

> Are you ready to code a 1 million lines of code application ? Because that is how big blender is. Sure maybe you can squeeze that because smalltalk is much less verbose than c to 250.000 lines. Are you still ready to do that ? And fight all the buginess along the way ?

Wouldn't you rather debug in Smalltalk than any other system? It's not as if any other language would make that simpler.

> Also if your goal is to teach programming then you will probably need to choose a more popular programming language as that will be the choice that your students will favor.

It's true that people favor popular languages. That's what the term "popular" means. It's also true, however, that people with Smalltalk experience usually have a much better grip on OO design than those who only know the more popular languages.

> [...]
> In the end its completely up to what you want to do, in any case one thing I advice is never , never , never understimate how difficult simple things can be ;)

Never underestimate the power of a dedicated professor and a bunch of good PhD students. They can create amazing things, certainly enough to learn with.

That's how I got hooked into Smalltalk back in my university days. We built a largish 3D rendering system, in VisualWorks Smalltalk. You may have encountered this picture, which I created in that system:

So yes, it's perfectly possible. You have to have at least one technically very proficient member in your group though. He/she will have to initially mentor all the others who are new to this. Over time the number of capable people will grow.

Good luck!

- Bert -