[Newbies] Squeak 3.9 differences from Smalltalk80?

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 18:17:02 UTC 2011

Squeak is derived from ST-80 release 1, which was shipped to hardware
vendors like Apple. The system has evolved gradually over time. There have
been a lot of improvements, and a lot of cruft built up too. I don't know
of a crib sheet of differences between Squeak and ST-80, but there is a
good crib sheet for Squeak, it's called *Terse Guide to Squeak*. It's in
the help menu in recent Squeak images, and also here:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5699

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>wrote:

> I'm working through a fairly ancient intro to Smalltalk-80
> called "Smalltalk-80 A Practical Introduction" by Philip Gray.
>
> A lot of the methods that Gray uses don't exist in quite
> the same form in my Squeak (3.9 under Ubunto 10)(*).
>
> I can generally figure it out eventually by studying the
> browser, but I understood Squeak started out as a clone
> of the original ST-80? So I wondered where/when the
> differences came in. And also if there is a crib sheet
> of what the differences are? (Which would save me some
> time!)
>
> BTW I've also been using SBE but I wanted to try the
> examples in the Gray book just for fun...
>
> (*)An example is in PopUpMenu where Gray uses a "reset"
> message which doesn't seem to exist in Squeak. He also uses
> a "startUpWithHeading:" which is "startUpWithCaption:" in
> Squeak.
>
> --
> Alan G
> Author of the Learn to Program web site