[Newbies] Re: PipableOSProcess#notifyError

Aidan Gauland aidalgol at no8wireless.co.nz
Sat Jan 1 21:39:24 UTC 2011

David T. Lewis <lewis <at> mail.msen.com> writes:
> [snip]
>
>   | p |
>   p := PipeableOSProcess command: 'false'.
>   (Delay forSeconds: 1) wait.
>   p notifyError.
>
> [snip]

Thanks, Dave.  This clears up a *lot*.  And that code does raise a
dialog.  But, yes, I shouldn't be using private methods.  I didn't
notice what category #notifyError was in.

#succeeded tells me if the command returned non-zero, but how do I get
the actual return code?

Also, I see that CommandShell and OSProcess haven't been updated since
2008.  Would you consider doing a cleanup of these packages?
i.e. Removing obsolete methods such as #notifyError, and making all
tests green in the latest version of Squeak.
CommandShellTestCase»testPipeline65 and
CommandShellTestCase»testPipeline66 are red (errors).  But that's
still really good: 385 out of 387 passes.

IOHandle
<http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/996/IOHandleV1-2-dtl.sar>,
however, fails to load into the Squeak image Squeak4.2-10779-alpha.
Could you please fix that, too, if you have the time?

Thanks,
Aidan