[Newbies] Safe shut down

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jan 14 21:10:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 09:54:09PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 14.01.2011, at 20:48, Gary Dunn wrote:
> > Is there a way to intercept a shut down signal from Gnome on Freebsd to allow the user to perform an orderly exit from Squeak?
>

> You would have to modify the VM. If you do, great, we need that for OLPC too:
>
> http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-192
>
> - Bert -

If you mean "shut down signal" in the sense of responding to a SIGHUP
signal, then you can do this using OSProcess. I am away and cannot
check the specific reference but look for a selector containing
'forwardSignal'. This allows you to arrange for the SIGHUP to signal
a Smalltalk semaphore, so if you have a process waiting on that semaphore,
it can do whatever cleanup procedures you have in mind.

If this refers to an X11 event (as opposed to an OS signal), then I
don't know how to do it.

Dave