Aw: Re: [Newbies] Float-Subclasses?

bblochl at arcor.de bblochl at arcor.de
Fri Jul 1 07:37:41 UTC 2011

----- Original Nachricht ----
Von:     Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
An:      "A friendly place to get answers to even the most basic questions about
	Squeak." <beginners at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Datum:   29.06.2011 17:03
Betreff: Re: [Newbies] Float-Subclasses?

Am 29.06.2011 17:03, schrieb Bert Freudenberg:
> Well, if you are not actually using Squeak then it would at least help to state which Smalltalk you are referring too.

That was the mail where the Smalltalk brand came in,  the name of I do not want to repeat. Would have been better to bring in the "Draft American National Standard for Information Systems - Programming Languages - Smalltalk?

Thank you for all the many sympathic responds to my question, mostly correct. I can not and will not respond to every single argument.

There was a special reason for my question, namely this method -ther are many others helpful for numeric "precise" calclatons:

decimalDigits
    Return the number of decimal digits of precision for a FloatD. Technically, if P is the precision for the representation, then the decimal precision Q is the maximum number of decimal digits such that any floating point number with Q base 10 digits can be rounded to a floating point number with P base 2 digits and back again, without change to the Q decimal digits.

Please understand that I forgot where I found the definition.

Anyway, thanks again. I do not longer want to waste your time and get off the mail list - now.

Cheers and have fun!

B. B.