[Newbies] Initials and settings

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jun 3 00:47:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 02:32:34AM +0200, Mateusz Grotek wrote:
> > 5. What is the official way of installing packages in squeak?
> > I've noticed there are many, like Squeaksource and Monticello, Squeakmap
> > and package universe, Monticello configurations.
> > I also understand that Monticello is a versioning system (like svn),
> > Squeaksource is versioning system repository (like svn repository). If I
> > understand it correctly Squeakmap and package universe are like linux
> > distribution package repositories (like debian apt repositories). So
> > what are Monticello configurations? Also it seems the analogy isn't as
> > clear... Squeakmap etc. is kind of deprecated (?) (old versions there).
> > People suggest to use Monticello configurations instead i suppose, but
> > are they another way of managing packages? Please could you clarify this
> > somehow?
>
> As far as this one is concerned I've found some information in draft
> chapters of Pharo book (thank you Pharo people for describing it).
> That's what I've got:
> Monticello ~ SVN
> Metacello ~ dpkg
> Squeaksource ~ Debian repository
>
> Is Squeakmap deprecated?

No, SqueakMap is not deprecated, and in fact there has been some
recent work to re-energize it in Squeak. That said, SqueakMap really
did fall into disuse for a number of years, and at the moment is not
as well updated as one might like. So I would encourage you to use
it, but don't be surprised if many things are out of date. And of
course, the flip side of that is that SqueakMap maintains a large
catalogue of worthwhile Squeak development projects that would be
easily overlooked if SqueakMap was not there to help you find
them :)

So please do take some time to explore SqueakMap to get a better
idea of what is available, what has been available, and perhaps
to find some interesting projects that might be brought up to
date by ambitious new contributors.

Dave