[Newbies] I don't get it

Erlis Vidal erlis at erlisvidal.com
Tue Jun 21 13:46:50 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

I was reading recently Jim Coplien ideas about DCI and I was surprised with
the following statement:

*"The Smalltalk people, when they put together Smalltalk originally the
computational model was exactly right, in terms of thinking in terms of
objects. And then they screwed it up with the language. The language is so
class focused! Most languages that we’re saddled with today had made this
error."
*
you can find it here:
http://blog.redtexture.net/2010/06/01/coplien-on-dci-mvc/

Does someone knows what Jim is criticizing? In which sense the computational
model was screwed by the language? I see smalltalk as a language that
express very well the intended computational model behind.

But that's just me, maybe some of you could help me to understand Jim's
point.

Thanks
Erlis