Aw: Re: [Newbies] I don't get it

bblochl at arcor.de bblochl at arcor.de
Tue Jun 21 19:51:18 UTC 2011

----- Original Nachricht ----
Von:     Erlis Vidal <erlis at erlisvidal.com>
An:      "A friendly place to get answers to even the most basic questions about
	Squeak." <beginners at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Datum:   21.06.2011 20:37
Betreff: Re: [Newbies] I don't get it

> Hi Blochl,
>
> But many interesting things are happening with it, like
> http://www.silversmalltalk.com/ and Dan Ingalls' Lively Kernel.

I know the Lively Kernel and did some tests. I have some problems with the old fashioned handling, that reminds me to the bloated squeak GUI. Pharo has a refreshing new UI aproach, closer to the nowaday commons. Another problem is, that there are no aplications for the Lively Kernel - maybe I am wrong? Maybe a blend with the "cloud" has some future? Would be nice to integrate Ingalls huge experiene into the Pharo-project?

> This is the book I fully recommend to anyone that really wants to
> understand
> the power of javascript: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596517748

I know that book and the Croqueford page http://javascript.crockford.com/prototypal.htmland some more  as well. There are many other interesting sources! Just to add one: "Innocent Code: A Security Wake-Up Call for Web Programmers"
Publisher: Wiley; 1 edition (March 15, 2004)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0470857447
ISBN-13: 978-04708574

But I think all that is a bit off topic on a Smalltalk mail list. But to remember: You had a special Croqueford -question I tried to clarify. I think the future mails hould focus on SmallTalk topics.

> On the other hands, I haven't look into Self or Lisaac, so, thanks for
> mentioning them, I'll look into them.

I do not know if hat could you inspire .- I just used that as an example to emphasize that there is a large spectrum of more or less prototyped languages.But ma be you do any thesis - then things might be different and it is your open horizons.

Regards

B. Blöchl