[Newbies] I don't get it

bb bblochl at arcor.de
Sat Jun 25 11:24:39 UTC 2011

Am 21.06.2011 15:46, schrieb Erlis Vidal:
> Hi guys,
>
> I was reading recently Jim Coplien ideas about DCI and I was surprised
> with the following statement:
>
> /"The Smalltalk people, when they put together Smalltalk originally
> the computational model was exactly right, in terms of thinking in
> terms of objects. And then they screwed it up with the language. The
> language is so class focused! Most languages that we’re saddled with
> today had made this error."
> /
> you can find it here:
> http://blog.redtexture.net/2010/06/01/coplien-on-dci-mvc/
>
> Does someone knows what Jim is criticizing? In which sense the
> computational model was screwed by the language? I see smalltalk as a
> language that express very well the intended computational model behind.
>
> But that's just me, maybe some of you could help me to understand
> Jim's point.
>
> Thanks
> Erlis

As I actually found, there already is an implementation of a DCI-System
in Squeak/Smalltalk. You can find an article, a documenation and a
download on
http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver/themes/babyide/babyide-index.html

Also given is a DCI-Maillist:
object-composition (at) googlegroups.com.

One might be interested in "The Common Sense of Object Oriented
Programming" by Trygve Reenskaug
http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver/2009/commonsense.pdf

Regards

B. Blochl