[Newbies] Float-Subclasses?

bb bblochl at arcor.de
Wed Jun 29 17:42:40 UTC 2011

Am 29.06.2011 17:03, schrieb Bert Freudenberg:
> On 29.06.2011, at 16:29, bb wrote:

>>> These classes are not in any official Squeak image. What image are you using? Which packages are they in?
>>>
>>> - Bert -

>> I am badly curious - so I sometimes cross check with other Smalltalk80
>> versions. I hope that is not a betrayal.
> Well, if you are not actually using Squeak then it would at least help to state which Smalltalk you are referring too.
>
>> I found that classes in a GNU Smalltalk-80  documentation
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk//manual-base/html_node/FloatD.html. I
>> was not aware that this was a GNU Smalltalk docu.
>>
>> But that classes do have some interesting methods.
> FWIW, Squeak has only one Float class (IEEE double-precision, 64 bits). In addition, there is FloatArray, storing Floats as 32 bit single-precision values.
>
> - Bert -

Well, I found in the selector browser no FloatD/E/Q, but I found
corresponding methods asFloatD/E/Q.
Just for completeness of Information about that classes in question, I
found a description of the methods:

onionmixer.net/extra_data/gst.pdf

6.104.4 Number: converting
asFloat This method's functionality should be implemented by subclasses
of Number
asFloatD This is mandated by the ANSI standard; since *GNU Smalltalk
currently does
        not support different floating-point classes*, simply convert
the receiver to a
           Float.
asFloatE This is mandated by the ANSI standard; since *GNU Smalltalk
currently does
        not support different floating-point classes*, simply convert
the receiver to a
           Float.
asFloatQ This is mandated by the ANSI standard; since *GNU Smalltalk
currently does
        not support different floating-point classes*, simply convert
the receiver to a
           Float.

I bolded parts of the text.

As I found out in the squeak sources, taht it uses this methods
asFloatD/E/Q for the same reason!

Regards

B. Blochl