[Newbies] Re: Chronos package loading error (Chronos)

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 12:50:31 UTC 2011

> Chronos REQUIRES that the message #future NOT be inlined. The requirement
> PREDATES the inlining of #future, and so WILL NOT BE CHANGED, since temporal
> precedence MUST BE RESPECTED.
>
> Also, 'future' belongs with greater weight and precedent to the domain of
> time, and date/time functionality is  more fundamental than the competing
> usage.
>
> Finally, and most critically: Inlining of messages is a direct contradiction
> of the principles on which Smalltalk is based.

I changed InfiniteTimepoint polarity: to use

self perform: #future

rather than

self future

and the Chronos package loaded into Squeak 4.2 without complaint.  I
don't know what ill effects that may have on the rest of the package.
Things seem to work as expected, but I know I haven't tested it
thoroughly. I think it does avoid the issue I was having with loading
the Chronos package into Squeak 4.2.

Thanks

Paul