[Newbies] Cog

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Mar 12 04:18:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:12:14PM +0100, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Garret Raziel wrote:
>
> >Thanks a lot, I used precompiled binary and it works just fine. Cog is
> >pretty much faster, on my laptop I can't create MVC project because Squeak
> >becomes very, very slow. If I create MVC project on same laptop with Cog,
> >everything works fine.
>
> Interesting, MVC projects used to be a faster than Morphic projects, so I
> guess this is an issue with the image you're using.

Hi Levente,

Actually I think there may be an issue in mouse event delivery the
standard unix VM. Mouse click events seem to be delivered very slowly,
and not in sync with the position of the mouse curser. The symptoms are
very evident in MVC, but I think I see related behavior in Morphic if
there are lots of windows open (i.e. lots of UI refresh required). Cog
seems to be handling something better in this respect. I do not know if
the issue is in the VM support code, in MVC, in the image, or some in
interaction between these.

Dave