[Newbies] Is GStreamer live? (in connection to Squeak)

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Wed Mar 16 07:47:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Sergio <forester.mirkwood> wrote:

> I wonder if there is anyone who use GStreamer-related plugin/packages.
> Packages are marked as last updated near Nov 2008.

I am sure Scott, Yoshiki, John or Bert can offer an accurate reply,
but in the meantime here is my rough guess of the situation.

As far as I recall, the GStreamer plugin was built by VPRI for the
OLPC XO-1 laptop. (The laptop's Sugar software platform is a
customized spin of Fedora Linux.) There was no effort I am aware of to
use GStreamer on other platforms.

The current Etoys images are based on Squeak 3.8 with a great deal of
bug fixing and additional code. They work on most recent VMs. (The
current version number 4.1.1 is merely a coincidence and has little to
do with Squeak 4 images.)

http://squeakland.org/download/

> after I'd loaded
> GStreamer into precompiled All-in-One-4.2, code
> I succeeded (after fixation of a couple of obvious errors) in constructing
> easy audio chain and playing OGG/Vorbis from file to ALSA.

If you can port the image code to Squeak 4.2 or trunk, I am sure it
will be useful for all kinds of other Squeak uses on Unix/Linux.

Hope that helps until you get an answer from someone who actually uses
it or maintains it.

David