[Newbies] Is GStreamer live? (in connection to Squeak)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 16 14:38:52 UTC 2011

On 16.03.2011, at 08:47, David Corking wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Sergio <forester.mirkwood> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if there is anyone who use GStreamer-related plugin/packages.
>> Packages are marked as last updated near Nov 2008.
>
> I am sure Scott, Yoshiki, John or Bert can offer an accurate reply,
> but in the meantime here is my rough guess of the situation.
>
> As far as I recall, the GStreamer plugin was built by VPRI for the
> OLPC XO-1 laptop. (The laptop's Sugar software platform is a
> customized spin of Fedora Linux.)

It was developed by John McIntosh, paid for by VPRI, released under MIT.

> There was no effort I am aware of to
> use GStreamer on other platforms.

John made it work once on Mac OS X, but it's a major pain in the neck to compile. The main platform is Linux.

> The current Etoys images are based on Squeak 3.8 with a great deal of
> bug fixing and additional code. They work on most recent VMs. (The
> current version number 4.1.1 is merely a coincidence and has little to
> do with Squeak 4 images.)
>
> http://squeakland.org/download/
>
>> after I'd loaded
>> GStreamer into precompiled All-in-One-4.2, code
>> I succeeded (after fixation of a couple of obvious errors) in constructing
>> easy audio chain and playing OGG/Vorbis from file to ALSA.
>
> If you can port the image code to Squeak 4.2 or trunk, I am sure it
> will be useful for all kinds of other Squeak uses on Unix/Linux.
>
> Hope that helps until you get an answer from someone who actually uses
> it or maintains it.
>
> David

I think maintenance is up for grabs. GStreamer is a great framework for media playback and deserves more attention.

- Bert -