[Newbies] I've never written a line of code, but want to be a programmer!

Tim Retz human.shield.117 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 07:00:56 UTC 2011

I seem to be having a hard time finding any sort of smalltalk tutorial that
doesn't assume I'm already a master programmer in some other language.

...That's not to say I haven't read, and executed examples from, a few of
them. I've followed along with the laser game development guide by Stephan B
Wessels (I can find a link if anyone wants it), I've read most of Squeak By
Example and a few others, so I have explored enough for a basic
understanding. My problem is that smalltalk is my first programing language,
So I need to figure out how to break a problem down to something I can code
out (I need to learn to "scratch-code" in a workspace).

Does anyone know where I can find such a guide, or even outline one for me
to build as I learn?

On another note, I have tried to learn the "basics" of programing in other
languages (most recently C++), but now that I've been exposed to smalltalk,
it all seems cumbersome and scattered. I end up getting too frustrated with
the need to reference some other part of the book so often, as well as the
edit-compile-debug cycle.