[Newbies] I've never written a line of code, but want to be a programmer!

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 02:09:50 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 30 Mar 2011 12:30:56 pm Tim Retz wrote:
> My problem is that smalltalk is my first programing language,
> So I need to figure out how to break a problem down to something I can code
> out (I need to learn to "scratch-code" in a workspace).
Start with your own programming problem first (not an exercise from the
textbook). Pick an itch that badly needs scratching :-).

Terse Guide is a handy reference for scratch coding in Workspace.

> Does anyone know where I can find such a guide, or even outline one for me
> to build as I learn?
Blue Book is an excellent guide book for language concepts but a bit dated
these days.

Morphic Programming by John Maloney is an excellent guide for event-driven
programs.

Squeakland (www.squeakland.org) would be a good starting place for both
issues. Etoys, with its Quick Guide help, lowers the barrier for learning
Smalltalk.

HTH .. Subbu