[Newbies] OSProcess example

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Oct 10 16:19:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 08:58:38PM +0530, Prashanth Hebbar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to trigger a ruby script from within Squeak. I loaded OSProcess
> but none of the examples are working. Are there any pointers on how to use
> OSProcess correctly.
>
> I am using a 3.8 stable version.

Hello Prashanth,

You can find some general information here:
  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/708

OSProcess requires a special plugin for the VM. If OSProcess is not
working, it is possible that the VM you are running does not contain
this support. Can you say what operating system you are using, and
if possible what VM?

I will mention also that if you want to interact with a ruby script
from Squeak through pipes (in other words, read and write the standard
input and output streams from the ruby program), then you will also
want to load package CommandShell and use the class PipeableOSProcess.

Dave