[Newbies] Squeak on a BeagleBone

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Apr 21 19:16:30 UTC 2012

On 20.04.2012, at 22:14, David Graham wrote:

> It took me almost 20 years, but I finally thought of something interesting to put on the Internet. ;)
>
> I've been experimenting with a BeagleBone (embedded ARM V7 platform) and was able to get Squeak 4.2 running without a problem.  I put together a simple demo with a blog post and video, and thought the Squeak list may be interested (also, please let me know if I have any technical errors in my smalltalk code explanation).
>
> http://blog.unthinkable.org/
>
> -David

Very nice!

There is one flaw in your code. You should never run Morphic code outside the UI process. But your "appendValue:" message does that. The correct way would be to write

	WorldState addDeferredUIMessage: [graph1 appendValue: lightValue]

That will cause the block to be evaluated at the next display cycle.

Of course, the proper way to make an updating Morph is to write a new Morph class. Then you could use Morphic's stepping mechanism to read the data and display it.

But for a 10 line hack your code is not bad :)

- Bert -